Monday, February 1, 2010

Raiders of the Blue Box






I've been busy with a new, fun passtime: making books! My mom taught me lots of techniques for making books, and before she passed away, she and I had some fun making books for my kids, and then she made some to take to a book show (sale). These books are special in that they use recovered material. Or - recycled material. We raid the blue box to get any beautiful boxes, and to save them from the recycle world - which uses so much energy to make them useful again. For these books we would sometimes use pre-printed paper as well. This would work for the books that my kids like to draw in, but for the ones that i am now trying to sell, i have to be very careful that any names, or information is not remaining on the paper. I love the books that are made with plain paper, and then there is so much more usable space as well.






One of my favorite books is a little Lego Indiana Jones Journal 002 that is made by using a box that once held Lego Indiana Jones. It is fun, and funky, yet makes a statement about reusing, and caring for the environment. These books are all hand stitched, and cut by hand. Lovingly created. Each one unique and individual. Like us - there are no 2 exactly alike! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment